How to Charge Crystals
If you’re using crystals for their energetic properties, charging your crystals is a great way to keep them functioning at their best! While cleansing can release any stagnant energy that may have been absorbed by the crystal, charging your crystals helps power them up to strengthen the liveliness of the energy.
For beginners, we typically recommend charging your crystals once a month, but this may vary depending on a variety of factors. You can decide how often you’d like to charge your crystals. After all, your intuition always knows best!
As a crystal shop that sells crystals both online and offline (at our crystal shop in Hamilton, Ontario), we get a lot of crystal-related questions.
These are some of the most common questions we get about charging crystals:
- “How do I charge my crystals safely?”
- “How do I charge my crystal in the sun?”
- “What crystals are safe in the sun?”
- “What crystals are not safe in the sun?”
- “How do I charge my crystals correctly in the moonlight?”
- “Can I charge my crystals in nature?”
So let’s get straight into it, shall we?
Three of the most effective ways to charge your crystals:
- And placing them on the earth (grass, soil, forest floor, etc.)
Just like how there are a number of various crystals that are not compatible with water, there are crystals that are not compatible with the sun for multiple hours - here are a few;
- Rose quartz
- Clear quartz
A general rule of thumb: any crystals of the quartz family should not be in the sun for hours on end. This is because their colour could fade in the sun. For instance, Citrine, a beautiful yellow-toned crystal and a member of the quartz family can fade into a clear colour if left in the sun for more than a few hours.
I personally will leave my crystals for 20-30 minutes a day to charge up. This does the trick without causing any damage over a long period of time. After all, a crystal is like an investment and it’s important to keep them looking and feeling their best!
On the other hand, there are a variety of crystals that are perfectly okay in the sun;
- Black Obsidian
- Black Onyx
Another general rule of thumb: Any crystals that have no pigmented colour that could fade are compatible with the sun. For example, Sunstone and Carnelian or dark crystals such as Obsidian and Tourmaline are great to put in the sun to charge.
1. How to Charge Crystals in the Sun
On a nice sunny day, place your crystals by the window to allow them to charge or if you’re an adventurous and spontaneous individual like myself; I like to take myself on a walk to the nearest park or open scenery. Maybe have a little picnic with friends!
- Simply gather the crystals that you intend to charge using the sun
- Place them on a blanket to charge or any preferred bowl or cloth
- Keep in mind, when leaving your crystals in the sun, I recommend placing them in an area where there is partial shade - so they’re not in direct heat for the duration of your charging practice. Some crystals can act like magnifying glasses and get super hot (and can even burn items around the crystal if you aren’t careful).
- Set an intention to allow the sun to energize your crystals to fill them with vibrancy
2. How to Charge Crystals in Moonlight
Charging your crystals in the moonlight (typically on a full moon) is a traditional way to release old energies that no longer align with you and power your crystals with beautiful lunar energy. It’s a powerful way to reset the crystal’s energy and get it ready for new intentions! Nearly all crystals are compatible with using moonlight. To name a few, Labradorite, any stone of the Quartz family, or Moonstone among others are great crystals to charge under the moonlight.
- On the night of a full moon, place your crystals directly under the moonlight. For beginners, lay them down on a cloth or on your window ledge. Those who are more advanced in their practice may prefer integrating a crystal grid.
- Set an intention to release old energies and replace them with the full moon’s vibrant energy to prepare for the next month ahead.
- Leave the crystals overnight to charge (and be sure to bring them in before sunrise).
- If you can’t leave them overnight, a few hours under the full moon is perfectly okay!
3. How to Charge Crystals via the Earth (Grass, Soil, etc.)
Earth energy is incredibly powerful! Charging crystals by placing them on the earth is as effective as any other method. Old energies within the crystals will be released to the Earth, grounding the energy and charging the crystals with the prime elements of the Earth.
- Take your crystal to your front/back yard or any space where there is grass/soil present. Place your crystals directly on the Earth.
- If there are crystals that are not compatible with the sun for a long duration, lay crystals in an area where there is enough shade.
- Set an intention for Mother Earth to release old energy and charge them with powerful grounding energy ready for one’s next set of intentions.
- Leave for a few hours and/or overnight - ensuring to leave them in a safe space - depending on preference
Charging your crystals is an incredible way to connect with your crystals and keep their energy powerful and vibrant! Keep in mind, each method of practice can resonate differently between individuals.
To find which method works well with you, try all 3 of these methods to see which practice works well with you. Of course - don’t be afraid to personalize it! Embrace your individuality and the variety of options that are available for you.
If you have any questions, head over to our Instagram and send us a message @ManifestandflowshopFor authentic crystals, order online or visit our shop to expand your crystal collection!